Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Refrigerator What?

What is a refrigerator scrapbook? I'm so glad you asked!

I have been making altered altoids tins with accordion scrapbooks inside for about a year. One evening, a few months ago, my mom and I were sitting on the couch chatting about an upcoming craft show and my mom said, "You know, you could make one of these to go on a refrigerator." We talked about the idea she saw in her head and I tweaked it a little and made an example within the week. I also made a few to take to my next craft show, but I have to admit, I was a little bit skeptical. I just didn't know if anyone would want something like that to go on their refrigerator.

Here is the one I made of my boys to go on my refrigerator and to go with me to craft shows as an example.


My mom liked them so much, she requested one for her birthday. So, I made her one that said "Grandkids" on the front and "We love Grammy!" on the inside. I gave it to her without any pictures in it and then had to take it back to add in grandkid pictures (she said it was incomplete!). While I had it, I used it as an example of how I can personalize an album at my next craft show.

I was very pleasantly surprised when the refrigerator scrapbook became the talk of the show! People would come over and say, "Okay, I was sent here by so and so who said I just have to come see your scrapbooks for the refrigerator!" or "What's this I hear about a scrapbook you hang on your refrigerator?" and so on. I had to go back to my mom and apologize for doubting the popularity of her idea.

I also had to re-make her refrigerator album, because a very persuasive woman really, really wanted it. She said her grandkids called her "Grammy", too, and she was from out of town, so she didn't want to have to pay shipping to have one personalized and sent to her. I haven't quite lived that one down and I get reminded from time to time of how I sold my mom's birthday present right out from under her nose after I had already given it to her... Oops...

Here is what the front of a refrigerator scrapbook looks like. This one is unpersonalized.


Here is an inside view. You just trim your pictures and adhere them using double-sided tape or a glue stick.


Here is a picture of the simple way I personalize the albums. I have also used stickers and rub-ons.


The idea is original, as far as we know, but I'm sure others out there have thought up similar ideas. Great gift idea and they can be made using the colors or styles you request. I am making a cowboy refrigerator tin for someone's little "Buckaroo". The possibilities are endless.

So, I guess it just goes to show you, mother always know best!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that is just one of the most awesome ideas for scrapbooking I have ever seen!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this!!! Where can I purchase one?

~Sheri D~ said...

Jamie would you share with me how you made the acordian pages for the album (size, folding tips, etc)
sheridearden@hotmail.com
Thanks!